Devices Offering Great Solutions (DOGS)
Call someone using video
About Video Communication
Video communication is an alternative to a regular phone call or an in-person meeting. You can place a video call with your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It lets you see someone’s face while you are talking to them. Video conferencing software may also have built-in features such as chat, screen sharing, and recording.
What kinds of video communication software are there?
Services like Zoom, Webex, and Microsoft Teams let you video call from any computer or mobile device. When you schedule a meeting, you can share a link for other people to join your meeting room. The person you are talking to does not need to have an account with the video platform in order to join your meeting.
There is a limit to how many people can be in a free meeting (up to 100 people) and how long the meeting can be (40-60 minutes). You can pay a subscription fee to get access to longer or bigger meetings. You might also have access to those features through your school or employer.
In addition to speaking over video, you can share documents or write chat messages during the meeting.
Some video calls require that you and your friend both have the same app. Examples are FaceTime, WhatsApp, and Signal.
- Glide – Glide is an instant video messaging platform for iOS, Android, and Windows mobile devices. The app lets you live stream brief video clips, in a similar way as sending text messages.
- Google Meet – Google Meet works on computers and mobile devices, both iOS and Android.
- FaceTime – Make video calls from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to other iOS devices.
How can I find out what’s new?
Technology changes all the time. To find out about the latest options for these, you can type keywords into a search engine such as Google, Safari, Firefox, or Bing on a computer or tablet. These are the keywords for this type of item:
- video meeting
- video conference software
- video call
- apps for video calls
How do I find out more?
If you live in the US outside of Pennsylvania, you can find your state’s AT program.
If you live in Pennsylvania:
- you could contact TechOWL to work with a specialist. We can meet with you and sometimes demonstrate this equipment. We can also help with different ways to get one for your own.
- you might borrow this equipment to try out.
Are these in Pennsylvania’s AT Lending Library?