Devices Offering Great Solutions (DOGS)

Writing Tools for Handwriting


Handwriting tools, like adapted pencils and paper


About Writing Tools for Handwriting 


Aids for handwriting might let someone to write more independently or with less pain. These are special tools that help people who have trouble with the regular way of writing, maybe because they find it hard to hold a pen or pencil, or because they have difficulty making the letters look right.

What kinds of writing tools are there?

  • Weighted pencil: may help a writer with tremors, provides extra proprioceptive input, and may increase resistance to make writing darker (DIY Option: hex nuts and rubber bands)
  • Steady Write Pen: permanently attached to a wide base, this option is helpful for those who have tremors, arthritis, decreased coordination, or limited use of their hands
  • Pencil Grips: to help promote a functional grasp and prevent pain and fatigue (DIY Option: tennis ball grip for decreased fine motor control, short pencils and broken crayons to promote a functional grasp)
  • Twist ‘N Write Pencil: fits smaller hands and helps promote a “tripod” grasp
  • PenAgain: alleviates stress and reduces the risk of repetitive strain injury while writing
  • Classic Ring Pen: Reduces stress and pain of writing
  • Built-Up Handles: may reduce pain during writing and help those with limited fine motor control (DIY Option: foam hair rollers)
  • EazyHold Adaptive Cuffs: helps a writer with decreased finger dexterity grasp a utensil
  • Slant Board: reduces strain during writing, encourages proper writing position (DIY Option: large binder)
  • Stay Put Mat: stabilizes the paper on the writing surface to assist those with limb differences, one-sided weakness, tremors, etc.
  • Raised Line Paper: tactile lines may help a writer with decreased visual motor skills (DIY Option: use Puffy Paint)


How can I find out what’s new?

Technology changes all the time. To find out about the latest options for these, you can type keywords into a search engine such as Google, Safari, Firefox, or Bing on a computer or tablet. These are the keywords for this type of item:


  • adaptive writing tools
  • built-up handles
  • pencil grips
  • universal cuff


How do I find out more?

If you live in the US outside of Pennsylvania, you can find your state’s AT program.

If you live in Pennsylvania:

  • you could contact TechOWL to work with a specialist. We can meet with you and sometimes demonstrate this equipment. We can also help with different ways to get one for your own.
  • you might borrow this equipment to try out.

Are these in Pennsylvania’s AT Lending Library?