Devices Offering Great Solutions (DOGS)

Adaptive Photography

Taking pictures

What does it do?

Whether you have low vision or a hand tremor, there are all kinds of tools that you can use to make photography more accessible.

What kinds of photography tools are there?

Switch Accessible Cameras

Options include Vtech Kidizoom Camera and the adapted digital camera by BJ Live. You can just plug in the switch and start taking pictures by pressing the switch button with any access point (head, hand, foot, etc.) This option is great for people who cannot manipulate a traditional camera. (DIY Option: adapt a remote shutter release to work with a switch)


A Gimbal stabilizer is a tool that uses motors and intelligent sensors to support and stabilize a camera. This tool can help a person with a tremor stabilize the camera to take smooth photos and video footage.

Other stabilizing devices include video / camera shoulder stabilizers, which keep your DSLR or camcorder fixed on your shoulder.


Mounting a camera to the photographer’s wheelchair or desk space may be helpful. There are many options for mounting including gooseneck mounts, clamps, tripods, gorillapods, and others. The Manfrotto Magic Arm kit acts as an extra arm and is ideal for mounting a camera at the angle you need it.

iPhone and Android

You can use voice control to take photos from your mobile devices. Ask “Siri” or “Ok Google” to take a photo.

Other Tips

Other things to consider when looking for a camera and set up that is right for you:

  • weight of the camera
  • where the controls are and if you can reach them
  • how hard you need to press the controls
  • cameras that have shake reduction
  • size of the screen

How do I see what's new?

Technology changes all the time. To find out about the latest options for these, you can type keywords into a search engine such as Google, Safari, Firefox, or Bing on a computer or tablet. These are the keywords for this type of item:

adaptive photography, adapted photography, switch adapted cameras, stabilizing camera, photographers with disabilities

How do I find out more?

If you live in the US outside of Pennsylvania you would need to find your state's AT program.

If you live in Pennsylvania:

  • you could contact TechOWL to work with a specialist. We can meet with you and sometimes demonstrate this equipment. We can also help with different ways to get one for your own.
  • you might borrow this equipment to try out. Do we have this in our lending library?


Posted in

Alanna Raffel

Alanna Raffel is an occupational therapist. She has worked in a variety of settings including acute rehab, outpatient pediatrics, early intervention, and schools. She is passionate about accessibility and loves discovering and making new tools that promote independence. Alanna enjoys making assistive technology using her sewing machine and 3D printer.

0 comments on “Adaptive Photography

Leave a Reply