ACES is a program for young adult users of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) located on the main campus of Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. ACES is a two-week intensive program followed by monthly meetups and ongoing social media engagement.
ACES needs volunteer peer mentors for ACES – July 25-August 7, 2020.
Position Description – ACES Peer Mentor
- 1 mentor needed for each 1-2 participants
- Unpaid experience; transportation, meals, and lodging at volunteer’s expense
- Flexible scheduling; various shifts available including morning, afternoon, evening
- Some academic background or experience with people with disabilities, augmentative/alternative communication (AAC), computer access, and/or related fields
- Respectful, person-centered attitude
- Independent learner who is able to take direction
- Attend Volunteer Orientation anticipated July 24/25, 2020 (TBD) or complete approved comparable preparation
- Support assigned and unassigned participants during ACES on-campus with various tasks
- Learn basic use and support for participants’ AAC systems
- Encourage learning and reinforce course content during activities (e.g., assist participants with activities and provide communication modeling as appropriate, etc.)
- Assist participants with completing course assignments as needed
- Engage with, include, and support participants in conversations, group discussions, etc. (i.e., ensure all participants’ voices are heard)
- Attend and participate in ACES courses or activities, under the direction of ACES staff, as assigned and appropriate
- Volunteers are personally responsible for the completion of all paperwork required for course credit, observation hours, and/or clinical experience, etc.
- Follow through on commitments in a timely manner
- Attend all ACES activities assigned during scheduled volunteer hours. Volunteers are required to inform ACES staff at least 24 hours in advance of any changes to the committed schedule.