Registration for this strand is closed. Stay tuned for new opportunities!
We can’t meet in person this summer for our usual ACES summer institute.
So, ACES is offering classes through the computer. The first series will focus on Talking with Doctors. Together, we find ways to get your doctors to listen to you. Sometimes, we will listen to experts. Sometimes, we will talk with each other. At the end of the classes, you create a tool – may be a short video. Share this tool with your health care providers. You can get paid to be in the class!
You can apply if you:
- Communicate in different ways using little or no speech (devices, gestures, signs, physical movements, pictures, text, etc.)
- Are over 18 years old
- Live in the United States or Territories
- Making your own decisions about your health
- Knowing what treatment doctors want to do and why
- Learning tips for talking with health care providers
- Insisting that doctors listen to you
- Helping doctors know what is important to you
- Creating a tool – short video
- Everyone will be in their own home or place.
- ACES uses ZOOM. We can help you use ZOOM.
- 8 weeks starting October 6, 2020
- Weekly on Tuesdays
- Time to be decided later
4 lectures and 4 in-depth discussions. You can also come to other events and social meetings in the future.
- Lectures – AAC users and other experts will teach ideas and strategies about talking with doctors. We are working with a group of experts who will share their knowledge with us.
- Discussions – We will discuss the ideas together. How can you use these ideas in your own life?
- Meetups – 1-2 times a month, our AAC Community has “meet-ups” through Zoom. You are welcome to join us.
- These classes are FREE. A group called “Communication First” is funding this project.
- Each person who completes Talking with Doctors will get paid $250.
- Already accepted into ACES 2020? Let us know that you want to be a part of Talking with Doctors. We will be in touch with details.
- New to ACES? Fill out the interest form. We will get in touch to schedule an easy interview.