ACES 2020 will be July 25 - August 7, 2020 at Temple University in Philadelphia.
ACES stands for Augmentative Communication Empowerment and Supports.
ACES is a program for young adult users of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) located on the main campus of Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
ACES is a two-week intensive program followed by monthly meetups and ongoing social media engagement.
The program goals of ACES include:
- Improve effective communication by AAC users.
- Improve computer access by AAC users with current technology
- Empower AAC users to control their lives
- Increase the capacity of non-AAC users to engage and include AAC users in all activities authentically
- Support the families and friends of AAC users to encourage self-determination by the AAC users.
- Build a community of AAC users to support each other and share experiences
Each ACES participant…
- Is a young adult or adult who uses AAC.
- May be concentrating on a “transition” such as school to work, home to community, etc.
- Is currently using or has the potential to use a speech-generating device.
- Devices (Tobii- Dynavox, PRC, Tablet-based, Phone-based, etc.)
- Access methods (direct select, eye gaze, switches, etc.)
- Communicative intent is demonstrated or assumed
- Is able to participate in a full day of learning and work.
- Might have a variety of educational or medical diagnoses.