iCanConnect – DeafBlind Services
If you have BOTH low vision and hearing loss, we help you find a way to communicate across distance.
iCanConnect is a special free program to help people who have combined hearing and vision loss to access telephone, advanced communications and information services. There are income requirements for this program.
iCanConnect gets people equipment to help them make a phone call, send an email, access the internet, or use other communications tools to talk with family, friends and other people.
To be eligible for iCanConnect, you must have both significant vision and hearing loss, and meet the program’s income guidelines.
Combined Vision and Hearing Loss
Significant vision loss is defined as having at least one of the following conditions:
- Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with corrective lenses
- A field defect such that the peripheral diameter of the visual field is no greater than 20 degrees
- Progressive visual loss with a prognosis leading to one or both of the above conditions
Significant hearing loss is defined as having at least one of the following conditions:
- Chronic hearing disabilities so severe that most speech cannot be understood with optimum amplification
- Progressive hearing loss having a prognosis leading to an above condition
A professional must attest to your hearing and vision loss in writing.
Examples of professionals include:
- a community service provider
- healthcare provider
- vision or hearing professional
- vocational rehabilitation counselor
- medical or health professional
For an accessible fillable PDF version of the application please email iCanConnectPA@temple.edu